Saturday, August 21, 2004

THE GOAL: READING FANTASY

Since I've got a bit of a lull before I begin my next novel, I've decided that there are just too many fascinating fantasy and pseudo-fantasy book being published this year. I want to read them all. To motivate me to do so, I'm going to write about them in my blog. Every day I'll post something about what I've read. So as to mix things up, I'll throw in some story collections and fiction anthologies. My goal is to finish all of these books by the end of the year.

If anyone has any other suggestions of books that came out this year that deserve a read, let me know. I should say up front that I cannot stomach reading the Stephenson, no matter how good. He's just gotten too turgid for my tastes. But, let me know what else I might be missing out on...

CLARKE, SUSANNA - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
CROWLEY, John - Novelties * Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
DAY, CATHY - The Circus in Winter
DUDMAN, CLARE - 98 Reasons for Being
HAND, ELIZABETH - Mortal Love
IRVINE, ALEXANDER - One King, One Soldier
MIEVILLE, CHINA - Iron Council
MITCHELL, DAVID - Cloud Atlas
SARRANTONIO, Al - Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
SWAINSTON, STEPHANIE - The Year of Our War
VONARBURG, Elisabeth - Dreams of the Sea


JeffV

1 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger Justin Steiner said...

I just started the Irvine and the Flights anthology is working its way towards me via Amazon. I definitely want to read the Clarke and I have not read nearly enough Crowley. Recently finished The Scar, so I need to get to Iron Council as well. In other words, your list looks good. :)

I read Secret Life a few weeks back as well - good stuff. I've got Polyphony 4 on my want list too; thought "The City" was very interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home