Monday, September 26, 2005

ANYONE FOR A PINEAPPLE DAIQUIRI: Part Two

Cat Sparks, guest blogging

Godawful Australian poetry:

[taken from 'In Love is an Expensive Place to Die – Poems by John Laws' 1971]

Three

Let's buy an orange car with a slit in the roof
I want the slit in the roof because
That just might let some sun in.
And that sun's pretty powerful and
That just might let some fun in too.
Apart from that, with a slit in the roof
Of your average car
You would find it much easier to commune with nature,
And if the sun's on your face
It won't seem so bad when you grate your gears.
Apart from that a bird might fly in.
Somebody once said a bird in the car
Is worth a slit in the roof.


Twenty One

Let's go somewhere else –
Here is too near.
Somewhere else is far away.


Thirty Three

Does anybody have a tissue,
I think my heart's caught a chill.
I fell asleep in the draught of love
And a frozen heat could kill.
Does anybody have a tissue.
I could also dry my eye
I could spread it wide and could hide this face
So the world won't see me cry.
Does anybody have a tissue to wipe
A small boy's tears and also wipe away
A love he thought would last for years.
Does anybody have a tissue to wipe
The whole world's eyes.


(Cat Sparks runs Agog! Press. She is also a writer, graphic designer, photographer and desktop publisher. In 2004 she was a graduate of the inaugural Clarion South Writers' Workshop in Queensland. She was awarded the Aurealis Peter McNamara Conveners Award in 2004. She has just returned from Writers of the Future, where she was a 2004 prize winner.

Cat lives in Wollongong and collects horrible things.)

6 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's go somewhere else –
Here is too near.
Somewhere else is far away.


Yes, lets. Somewhere that's free of John Laws poetry. :-)

Although it might be kinda funny if read in a Russian accent...

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the subtle symbolism in giving his poems number names. And what is a slit in the roof? Does it give anyone else disturbing images or is it just me?

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. my. god.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Lord Beavish said...

As a poet, John Laws makes a great radio host (and there is no other circumstance in which I would say "John Laws makes a great radio host").

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lord Beavish,

I spent way too many years working as a media monitor listening to that man advertise Toyota and Valvoline... and people wonder why I'm like this???

Kaaron: yeah, that slit bothered me too...

Cat

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This John Laws... he's got to be about fifteen or sixteen, right?

Otherwise I can't think of any reasonable excuse for him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home