Tuesday, December 27, 2005

HANNUKAH/CHRISTMAS WEEKEND

Had a great weekend.

We drank this:



Did this for 30 minutes a day to avoid guilt at drinking:



I got one of these:



We ate one of these:



Then lifted some of these so we wouldn't feel guilty:



And watched football and movies until we couldn't watch no more. Of the movies, we thought Suspect Zero one of the most underrated films of the year and Motorcycle Diaries, oddly enough, one of the most overrated (although gorgeous to look at). We also enjoyed (but did not love) The Jacket, The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, and Crash (really wonderful on so many levels, but connections between people sometimes more like coincidence, and WASP woman played by Bullock a total cliche).

Jeff

3 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger elad said...

my girlfriend and I watched Crash this past weekend too, but seriously disliked it. There were some very interesting moments but I felt like all the characters were very one-dimensional mainly because there was no time to get into the meat of any characters with so many storylines overlapping. They were just broad stereotypes: the white cop with the sick father, the black cop with the drug addict mother, etc, etc.

I feel like I had seen this movie for the fiftieth time.

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked it a lot more than that--but more for things like the gun with the blanks, which I knew as soon as she chose the ammo, but still had a powerful effect. I think I didn't think about the characters so much as I thought about the shifting dynamic between them. So, in a sense, I guess I agree with you. The characters are fairly stock. But sometimes what the movie did with them I liked a lot.

JeffV

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger elad said...

I'll agree with that, for sure. I was definitely enterained and interested. I didn't think about the length of the movie at all. I guess I was just disappointed. Most modern movies are too long but I was actually surprised when this flim ended because there was so much left I wanted to know. So at the end, I was left just kind of dumbfounded.

Still, it was nice to see a Hollywood flick take on race in America to this level. Some parts reminded me of one my favorite series, The Wire, where characters at the bottom of the cultural foodchain will soliloquize about society and racial culture. It's a fascinating perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home