Thursday, February 23, 2006

NIGHTS AT THE CIRCUS COMES TO THE STAGE



Laura Manning at the Bristol Old Vic asked if I'd post information about an upcoming production of Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus. I really wish I could be in the UK to see it.

More information here.

Jeff


bristol old vic and lyric hammersmith in association with kneehigh theatre present
nights at the circus
based on the novel by angela carter
a new adaptation by tom morris and emma rice

14 march – 1 april
Bristol Old Vic, King Street, Bristol BS1 4ED
Tickets £6 - £22
Pay What You Can Night (for 18-26 year olds) 20 March Tickets £3.50

Booking 0117 987 7877
www.bristol-old-vic.co.uk/whatson/mainhouse.php?show=198

After a critically acclaimed opening run at the Lyric Hammersmith in London, Nights at the Circus comes to Bristol Old Vic. Starring Natalia Tena (Mrs Henderson Presents; About A Boy; Shared Experience’s Gone to Earth) and ex-international gymnast Gisli Orn Gardarsson (Young Vic's Romeo and Juliet and Woyzeck) this flighty new adaptation of Angela Carter’s novel will enthrall.

Featuring Fevvers, a bird woman who claims to have been hatched from an egg, there’s a simple love story at the heart of this cracked, beaten, bloody world of circus and theatre.

Angela Carter’s Nights at the Circus is one of the most critically acclaimed novels of the twentieth century and is a homage to theatre; to the thrill of fantasy and to the intoxication of dreams.

Live music is performed by Stu Barker and the cast who all sing and play instruments.

“An adaptation every bit as magical and cheeky as the novel”
The Independent

“joyous, flighty affair that celebrates possibilities of freedom”
The Guardian****

Suitable for age 14+
Contains strong language and partial nudity

4 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Darn, just as I'm leaving for the US something interesting happens here.

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Abigail Nussbaum said...

Wait a minute, does this mean it's no longer playing in London? I'm going to be in the UK in March, but I don't know if getting to Bristol for an evening is feasible.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger JeffV said...

Abigail: That's right, unfortunately. It's no longer playing in London.

Bristol isn't too far from London, I don't think?

JeffV

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Abigail Nussbaum said...

Last time I was in the UK, I was based in London and spent a weekend with a friend in Bristol. It wasn't a prohibitive journey, but I'm not sure how it would work as a commute. This time around, I'll be based in Oxford, which if memory serves is actually closer to Bristol.

There are matinees twice a week, so I guess I'll investigate the issue further when I get there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home