Sunday, March 12, 2006

INITIAL THOUGHTS ON AUSTIN

Having just gotten back from a sweat-soaked, three-city plane ride back to Tallahassee from Austin, Texas, I have only a few initial observations, which will be followed by a longer posting tomorrow.

- BookPeople and Half-Price Books are fucking AWESOME.
- Reading with Mike Moorcock, Brian Evenson, Matt Cheney, Kelly Link, and Gavin Grant is fucking AWESOME.
- Sixth Street is a bit like Mardi Gras but with better/more diverse music (don't hurt me, Nawlins).
- Them bats? They's smaller than them Australian bats.
- The river walk/hike is freaking AWESOME.
- Austin reminds me of Brisbane, Australia (similar size, cultural hotspot, river running through it, etc.)
- An old friend, Tom Winstead and his wife Marty, took me to the Salt Lick, about 40 minutes outside of Austin. It was, you guessed it, fucking AWESOME. Salt Lick! The best barbecue in Texas! And there's actually now a five story tall Hindu gold-leaf anointed temple with peacocks right over the hill from the place. So just imagine that juxtaposition.
-Sitting up all night talking with Matt Cheney is the bomb.

More tomorrow, gentle folk.

Jeff

6 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff...glad you enjoyed good ol' Austin. I came for one year and am going on YEAR 15. And, while the Salt Lick is good fun and a good location, it is no where near the best BBQ in Texas, let alone the Austin area. If you get back this way, I'll suggest others for comparison!

All the best...

James

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Andy Wolverton said...

I don't know...I haven't been to Austin in about ten years, but I do remember the Salt Lick as being pretty damn good.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Andy Wolverton said...

I don't know...it's been about ten years since I was last in Austin, but I remember the Salt Lick being pretty damn good.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Andy Wolverton said...

Oops...sorry about the double post!

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Henry said...

Enjoyed seeing you and the Others at Book People. Glad you visited and enjoyed. Thanks!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

It is a good job those Australian bats eat fruit, otherwise they'd be even more dangerous than the rest of the Australian wildlife.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home