Thursday, September 28, 2006

MIKE SIMANOFF MEMORIAL BLOG

There is now a Mike Simanoff Memorial Blog.

The Mike I remember was a smart, funny, active guy who loved reading and was constantly curious. He sent me a monograph on crayfish names while at his job at the library in NYC. It was one of the funniest, coolest things I've ever gotten from anybody. (You'd have to see it to understand why.)

He also did a lot of work for me in my role as editor at Ministry of Whimsy Press. He performed well under pressure and I think he liked doing something involving publishing from the inside looking out.

One of the most memorable nights I can remember was in NYC when I met Mike in person for the first time, along with Gabriel and Michael Cisco and Alan Ruch from the Modern Word. We had a wonderful evening and Gabriel even invented a fake language out of bits of paper.

Ann and I liked to tease Mike because he got that kind of likeably bashful look when you did, but also because he had a quick wit and talent for the quick comeback.

We enjoyed him immensely. It came as a complete shock when he passed away. It didn't seem possible. Or probable. I thought it was some kind of sick joke at first.

It really makes you doubt the fairness and purpose of the universe when something like this happens.

At least we have our memories of Mike and some of his presence online, and although that is not enough, it is something.

I'm not at all religious, but I hope that somehow Mike knows right now how many people loved him and that he was very special. And that he is in our thoughts. He is not forgotten.

3 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May he rest in peace

Kind regards
Danny
HTTP://WWW.GIFTOFIRELAND.
Unique Irish memorial gifts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home